Try these five tactics, today!
- Become more aware of others who share their important work with you – watch how well they do it – note the benefits; to them; to you! See – it works!
- Note those things you do in your work, that someone else could and create a plan to give them all away within one week. Take time to plan it and show people what you want. Then plan to delegate more next week & on.
- Can’t decide? What would you do if you only had half the time (note:- do not think tactical or fire-fighting here – someone else has (or should have) that job).
- Ask your people what they would like to take on that you do now – where do you get in their way? Let them have it!
- Encourage this down the line – who can your people share key tasks with? Be the model – help them do this too.
- Figure out what you can do with all that lovely time. Scared? Don’t be – look for growth opportunities – people; marketing; future things (See ‘Q2 time’ – Begin with the End in Mind Chapter – Covey’s Seven habits).
Delegation is a valuable tactic to free up your valuable time, as well as enlightening your people with an understanding of the capacity they have to do more, learn and develop.